07c. The Anila Stove

The stove was designed by Professor RV Ravikumar, of the University of Mysore in India, and it can produce biochar on a household level.
It is a TLUD with a double chamber design, which produces biochar and does not allow the biochar to be fully combusted in the unit. However the biochar does have some calorific value so can be used in another stove for example at a later date. The inner chamber is filled with wood or another feedstock which is burned, and the outer chamber, which is a limited oxygen environment is filled with the feedstock to be charred (for example rice straw). Pyrolysis gases from the outer chamber flow into the inner chamber and are combusted.

This stove has been implemented in the Tamil Nadu in India, where up to 70% of agricultural residues are discarded or burned (the remaining 30% are used as fodder). So the stove can utilise this resource to produce an agricultural product for soil improvement.

Folke Gunther on the Anila stove (including designs):
Is biochar produced by the Anila Stove likely to be a useful soil additive? (UKBRC Working Paper 4):
A discussion group for those interested in the distribution of the anila stove in Kenya: http://groups.google.com/group/anilakenya
Pictures which show how to use the stove, and how it works are available from Max Turunen:
Information about the project in Tamil Nadu and a cartoon for its use:

3 Responses to “07c. The Anila Stove”

  1. Samuchit Says:


    Please let us know how can the anila stove be available to us in Pune, Maharashtra, India.

    Waiting for some assistance

    • C.S.Ramaswamy Says:

      I was the man who fabricated and developed the anila stove for Mr.U.N.Ravikumar of Mysore University. I am an design and development engineer and having a workshop. We have put in 2 years of work for perfecting the anila stove. These stove were manufactured and sold through Mr.Ravikumar in India as well as foreign countries.

      For more information contact Mr.U.N.Ravikumar or C.S.Ramaswamy.

      C.S.Ramaswamy B.E.(Mech)
      Sumuki Associates,
      Mysore-570 004

      • Priyadarshini Karve Says:

        National Consultation on Biochar and Carbon Emission Reduction

        (NC – BCER)

        Organised by: Appropriate Rural Technology Institute (ARTI)

        Supported by: UK Biochar Research Centre, University of Edinburgh, UK

        The Society of Biochar Initiatives, India

        Dates: November 22 & 23, 2010

        Venue: Dr. Manibhai Desai Management Training Center, Bhartiya Agro Industries Foundation, Dr. Manibhai Desai Nagar, National Highway No.4, Warje, Pune 411 052. Ph: 020 25231661.

        Funded by: Asia Pacific Network for Global Change Research, Japan

        Biochar is a material high in black carbon produced from the thermal decomposition of biomass through heating in a low- or zero-oxygen environment and at relatively low temperatures (<700oC). Biochar has the potential to address the key challenges to achieving sustainable development: namely, carbon emissions reduction, sustainable agriculture and land-use and waste management. Defining the circumstances and conditions in which biochar meets (or fails to meet) its ambitious aims, is critical in determining the potential role of biochar in the developing world.

        There is no registration fee for the consultation and accommodation and local hospitality will be provided free of cost. The participants have to bear their own travel expenses. An Honorarium of Rs. 2000 will be payed to all participants, contributing to the discussions. Maximum 50 participants can be accommodated due to logistical limitations, and registration will be on first come, first served basis.

        Who should attend?

        People active in waste management, organic farming, sustainable agriculture, rural development, biomass energy, rural livelihood issues, climate change, biodiversity protection, etc. Grassroots level practitioners (farmers, NGO workers, etc.) are strongly encouraged to participate along with technology and policy researchers, academicians, policy makers and implementers, media persons, etc.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: